The low-fidelity prototype of our proposed design intervention consisted of rough sketches of potential forms for a yoga bag. From developing our personas, journey frameworks and our informances, we developed a feature list we thought our target group members would want. Our prototype bag was designed to be easier to carry around and facilitate memory recall of whether or not items are missing. The primary form of the low-fidelity prototype was driven by a wheeled design as a means to reduce the carry load by rolling the bag instead of carrying it.
Upon conducting our participatory design workshop, we had to alter our approach to this problem as the major issues we identified were incorrect. We refined our problem scenario instead of being a yoga bag, to be a multi-functional bag that functions as a prenatal exercise bag when the mother is pregnant and can be used as a baby diaper bag after the mother has given birth.
Our medium-fidelity prototype was created around this scenario and the list of features as elicited by our workshop participants during the participatory workshop:
- Expandable (has a compact and expanded configuration)
- Labelled side compartments
- Detachable waterproof section / compartment
- Easy to close and open
- Wipeable surface material (easy to clean)
- Darker color (minimize visibility of dirt)
- Durable (extend product lifespan)
- Separate sections / compartments
- As many compartments as possible
- Hand carry handle + Shoulder bag handles
- Optional shoulder straps (for increased weight and hanging on stroller)
- Design that men will be comfortable with carrying
Our final prototype consists mainly of the features provided in the previous iteration with a few adjustments to features missing in our medium-fidelity prototype along with extra additions of pockets, a stronger exterior material, as well as a new feature provided by our participants during the user test, a bottle holder at one end of the bag. One feature however that we did include from the original feature list of an expandable bag was removed as the users realized that they did not want it as the prototype’s size was adequate.